I recently got a wonderful bundle of delicious beets and a beautiful head of purple cabbage. So guess what? I made up an absolutely wonderful slaw that I know you will enjoy too!
With this salad, you want to start by making the vinaigrette dressing ahead of time so that it can chill in the fridge for at least an hour and be ready to go.
- 2 green onion bulbs, minced
- 1 tablespoon French white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sweet white wine
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Fine sea salt (pinch)
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
How to prepare the vinaigrette
In a small bowl, stir together the minced onion, white wine vinegar, wine, balsamic vinegar, lemon juice and Dijon mustard. Let stand for about 15 minutes. Next, pour the mixture into a small jar with lid, add the oil, screw on the lid and shake to combine well. Season with just a pinch of salt and pepper to taste.
Raw Beet and Purple Cabbage with Apple Slaw
- 2 medium green onions, minced
- 1 teaspoon French white wine vinegar
- 2 cups shredded purple cabbage
- 1 large raw beet, grated
- 1 large crisp apple, grated (or chopped, your preference)
- 2 – 3 tablespoons of Vinaigrette Dressing (see recipe below)
- Juice of 1 lemon
HOW TO PREPARE THE SLAW
In a small dish, soak minced green onions and 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar for 10 – 12 minutes. Next, in a large bowl, mix together the cabbage, beet, apple vinaigrette dressing, and the minced onion that has been soaking. Season generously with lemon juice a pinch of salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste.
For dinner one night, I paired the slaw with a kale salad topped with roasted sweet potatoes and garbanzo beans. Now that was a delicious!