Servings 5 to 6 Prep time: 20 – 25 minutes Cook time 25 – 30 minutes
- Tamari; 2 tablespoons
- Water or vegetable broth; ¼ cup (use as needed when sauteing)
- Onion; 1 medium, diced
- Mushrooms; 8 ounces, sliced
- Garlic; 1 tablespoon, minced
- Chili Powder; 2 – 3 tablespoons
- Cumin, 1 tablespoon (ground)
- Tomato Paste; 3 ounces
- Crushed tomatoes; 1 can (28 ounce)
- Black Beans; 2 cups, cooked (scratch or canned)
- Nutritional Yeast; ½ cup
- Kale; 2 cups chopped, packed
- Broccoli; 2 cups, small flowerettes (instructional video on how to cut broccoli)
- Cauliflower; 1 cup, small flowerettes
- Garnishes of your choice: grated non-dairy cheese, non-dairy sour cream, toasted pepitas, chopped green onions, sliced avocado or cilantro
In a 3-quart saucepan, heat the tamari with about a tablespoon of water. Add onion and cook over medium heat until softened, add mushrooms, a bit more water and saute about 4 minutes. Add garlic and cook for an additional one minute. Add chili powder and ground cumin. Stir until blended and fragrant. Add tomatoes and tomato paste, stir well and simmer for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Gently stir in the black beans, the nutrition yeast and blend with sauce. Next, add the kale and stir until it starts to wilt. Last, add the broccoli and cauliflower and cook for about 15 more minutes or until broccoli and cauliflower are tender.
Serve in bowls as is or with a favorite garnish; such as, grated non-dairy cheese, non-dairy sour cream, toasted pepitas, chopped green onions, avocado or cilantro.
This meal would also be wonderful served over ½ cup quinoa or brown rice.