- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 cup colorful sweet peppers
- 1 tbl minced garlic
- 8 cups, low-salt vegetable broth
- 1 28 oz can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cups water
- ½ small head cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1-1/2 cups broccoli flowerets
- 2 tsp oregano
- 2 tsp basil
- 1 tsp parsley
- 1 tsp hot red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 tsp salt and ½ tsp black pepper (optional)
Two cooking options: Put all ingredients into your slow cooker and place on high for 4 to 5 hours OR cook on the stove-top and simmer for about 15 to 20 minutes to bring out all the flavors. Either way you are set for several days of goodness, or a lovely meal for family and or guests. Compliment with perhaps a slice of whole grain bread.
Each serving is packed with no fat, healthy carbs, fiber, low sugar, protein, calcium, magnesium, selenium and potassium. Garnish with a 3 slices of fresh avocado (a healthy fat), fresh parsley or cilantro, if desired.
Feel free to add 1/2 cup beans (black, garbanzo, white, kidney) or lentils per serving or serve over some quinoa, bulgur, or couscous. This a great soup base to spin-off some delicious meals.