This easy three bean salad was inspired by a Garbanzo Bean Salad recipe my good friend DeAnna shared with me many years ago. It’s one that I never get tired of because it’s an explosion of flavor in my mouth! It makes a great side salad with some soup or a sandwich. It’s always a hit when I bring it to potlucks anytime of the year or barbecues during the summer. It also works as one of my favorite one-dish meals. I love tossing about 1 cup onto a crunchy bed of kale or spinach or lettuce or a mixture of all three. It’s easy to fix; you’re going to love it!
Servings: about 6 cups Prep time: 15 min Cook time: None
- 1-½ cup of black beans; or 1 15 ounce can
- 1-½ cup of red kidney beans; or 1 15 ounce can
- 1-½ cup of garbanzo (chick peas) beans; or 1 15 ounce can
- 6 oz of button mushrooms, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped (or about 1 cup chopped mini peppers)
- 1 small to medium red onion, chopped
- ½ cup chopped parsley
- 2 – 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1-½ tablespoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon Spike Gourmet Natural Seasoning
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
Put everything into a bowl and toss. It’s good to go. If you’re able to let it sit in the fridge for a few hours, or overnight, the flavor will only get more robust as the beans absorb the flavors.
For fun, I sometimes add a chopped avocado or a cup of corn, a fresh cucumber, or a cup of some pretty yellow wax beans or even a cup of edamame! You know me, I’m not afraid to add a little of this or a little of that, especially if it’s colorful or crunchy! If I see things in my fridge, they just seem to call out to me. Heck, don’t be afraid to be creative, you can’t spoil something like this!
Check out this salad I’m having for lunch! I’ve added one cup of the bean salad to a bed of mixed greens, thrown on a few quarters of marinated artichoke hearts along with a few golden peperoncini.